"Say Hello To My Little Friend!"
Thursday found the
Hellcats on the Combat Arms Training and Maintenance course. Cadet Maas should
have been in his element once again. Here’s the WebGuy definition for the CATM
course:
CATM (Combat
Arms Training and Maintenance)
Mission: The
course trains basic cadets on the nomenclature, assembly/disassembly, and safe
operation of the Colt M-16A2 rifle. Basic cadets fire at the Air Force
Qualification Course (AFQC). If basic cadets earn an expert rating for the M-16
AFQC, they will be authorized the wear of the USAF small arms expert ribbon.
WebGuy Translation: You
get to shoot stuff.
WebGuy Rating (Fun
Level Scale 1 - 10) CATM is 7.
![]() |
| "Are you talking to me? Is he talking to me?" |
![]() |
| Graham with the Colt M-16A2 rifle. |
I hope Graham had a
great shooting day and enjoyed it. I can’t wait to talk with him about his
experience with the Colt rifle.
![]() |
| Graham is at station 50. |
![]() |
| Graham got to shoot a number of weapons while in Boy Scouts. |
![]() |
| Graham with his first roomie during BCT 1, Drew Martin. |
Yesterday we were
talking about the CBRNE course, and I said
I would provide more information when I had it. CBRNE (pronounced
"SEE-burn") stands for Chemical, Biological,
Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosive materials.
During the CBRNE course, the Basics are walked through various situations and
are taught how to deal with them. And as I showed you yesterday, the cadets
also get exposed to tear-gas. I just didn’t know the specifics at the time.
The Basics put
on their protective gear and gas masks, enter the container of gas, remove
their masks, breathe in all the goodness, and then are released to go outside.
Then they walk around in circles while flapping their arms and not touching
their faces. Why is flapping one’s arms part of this training? Brisk movement can help the recovery.
Flapping the arms and rubbing the hair in a breeze or standing in front of a
large fan will disperse most of the particles from the clothing and hair.
Within five to ten minutes the symptoms produced by the agent should
disappear.
![]() |
| This shipping container server as the gas chamber for the basic cadets. |
![]() |
| Inside you went. Doors closed. Then you removed your gas mask. |
![]() |
| And were eventually let out. Note: You can see all the photos of Graham that we found of the CATM Course at this Flickr album. This album is currently sorted from newest to oldest photo. |








Comments
Post a Comment