Demographics For The Class Of 2022 And Misc.
Another day,
another round of intramural action. But Graham has seemed to evade the WebGuy
photography team the last few days, so Jackie and I have no new photos to
share. This will happen from time to time, that we can’t find a photo, and have
learned not to immediately worry or draw conclusions. He had been maimed by a
bear, we’d have been notified.
You might think, “Wow,
all the kids are doing during basic is playing sports! Ain’t so tough!” But that’s
far from the truth. As the majority of an iceberg lies under the water, we are
seeing just a little bit of what goes on all day for the basic cadets.
Earlier this week,
I had gotten an Instagram note from one of Graham’s former Team USA Modern
Pentathletes letting me know she had seen the basics at Peterson Air Force Base
in Colorado Springs. I had no idea. And sure enough, later that day the USAFA
Instagram site posted this photo confirming they were there. So, there’s lots
going on that we don’t know about. Or areas and tasks that the WebGuy team is
simply not allowed to photograph.
Usually the week
leading up to Jacks Valley can get a little repetitive, as the basics are
getting supplies ready for march out day or buying ironing boards to press
their uniform for Doolie Day out. Wait! What? An ironing board to press
their uniform? I think Jackie is still laughing and would also pay big time dollars
to witness Graham doing this. Truth be told, she prepared him for ironing and
washing clothes the best she could. Whether the little bird actually flies is up
to him. Mom is enjoying a nice glass of lemonade in the garden and could care
less…. her work is done.
We did receive the
Class of 2022 official demographics. It’s interesting to review. The Air Force
Academy has made a conscious effort to increase the percentage of females
accepted. And there’s a good reason for that. If I recall my notes correctly,
about 30-35% of the total Air Force enlistment are female. And the Academy has
set a goal to match appointee percentage to that. They still have work to do
in that regard but heading in the right direction. And we also learned that only
11% of applicants got in. So, Graham can hold his head high.
I’m also sharing the USAFA Cadet Development Continuum, which was shared on the USAFA official Twitter site earlier this week. For those in Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts, this is very familiar to the track taken to go from Cub to Eagle Scout. So, I think Graham will enjoy seeing this.


Comments
Post a Comment