I Love The Smell Of Napalm In The Morning


Tuesday saw the Hellcats start out on the Obstacle Course, only to have that session end early due to severe thunder storms. But on Wednesday, well I’m sure Graham did not enjoy Wednesday. As Wednesday was tear gas day on the Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Enhanced Conventional Weapons (CBRNE) course. 
Unlike conventional college, where the students might get tear gassed for protesting something, the basic cadets at USAFA are tear gassed because it is part of basic cadet training. Let’s revisit the WebGuy definition of the CBRNE Course:
Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Enhanced Conventional Weapons (CBRNE)
Mission: CBRNE will help prepare the Basics to face chemical warfare and know how to deal with various types of weaponry.
WebGuy Translation: You get tear-gassed.
WebGuy Rating: (Fun Level Scale 1 - 10) CBRNE is Negative 30.  (Note: this is still a higher rating than the Assault Course.)
I was able to find photos of Graham posted by the WebGuy team of photographers, showing the sequence the cadets went through.

20180724-9782
The wait to be called. Graham can be seen in upper right.

20180725-2712
The walk over to the gas area.

20180725-2842
Picking up the protective gear and equipment.

20180725-3095
Fully dressed for prom, walk over to the gas area.

20180725-3192
And, it looks like fun.


To be honest, not sure when they actually got tear gassed. Or if are told to remove their masks and walk through a gas zone. I'll try to get more information on the specifics. I do know it was not for everyone, and saw other photos where cadets were stopping to obviously throw up before heading back to get their gear, and themselves, washed and get some medical attention if required. 

Jackie's Corner


Today Graham’s squadron was exposed to tear gas as part of their basic training.
It made me think of John Singer Sargent’s painting ‘Gassed’ which was based on a medical station he saw in WWI. We were fortunate to see this painting at the Imperial War Museum in London in 2012.

I think I would look at it differently now.


37829986_10156058991267851_1263073697623703552_n
John Singer Sargent’s painting ‘Gassed’

Note: You can see all the photos of Graham that we found of the CBRNE Course at this Flickr album. This album is currently sorted from newest to oldest photo. 

Comments

Popular Posts