Following Graham Maas at the United States Air Force Academy, Class of 2022
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Walking Through Doors
I always told Graham, that one of the main roles of being a parent was to open up as many doors for him as possible. To explore, try, fail, succeed. Walk through as many doors as possible to determine what will make him the happiest in life.
Graham and I did that a lot together. Walk through doors, with me holding his hand as a toddler. I'd make sure he was safe and happy. We'd talk about his experiences afterwards. We'd determine if it was a door he'd like to continue to walk through, or not so much and try another door.
Yesterday, he walked through the biggest door of his life. And I could go no further with him. For me, it was like stepping off of a curb and being hit by a bus.
Even as a senior competing in high school, or being on the Team USA Modern Pentathlon national team representing his country on the world stage, he would often times look over to me...to see if Dad was there. Reassure himself and know that we were connected. If he were fencing and was doing poorly, he'd look to me and I'd give him a look of encouragement and I'd see the head nod and the confidence re-instilled.
But, here's the thing. In all those years of walking through doors with him, I was actually preparing him for a time when for he would go it alone. When fencing, I'd have a secret sign I could give him for how I wanted him to attack, counter, or parry. We got pretty good at reading each other. Just simple gestures, and each understood the other. Yesterday, he gave me the "I'm going to be great, Dad" sign. And, in that moment, I knew he was ready to walk through doors by himself.
I'll let photos tell the rest of the story for In-Processing Day.
Family Maas arrives on campus
Mom held up very well.
Well, mostly. Happy tears when it was time to walk through the door.
In-Processing begins. Graham in the pink shorts.
One last look to Dad?
The infamous bus ride, where the yelling begins.
Swimmers torso. Dad had him in shape for BCT.
Boarding the bus.
The short drive to the footprints, where they get their first reality check.
The footprints, where the cadets stand while receiving their first military instructions. With yelling.
The Core Values gate. They walked through this gate after the footprints.
One last wave from Mom and Dad.
Home for the next four years. I took this photo from Doolittle Hall during the parents function.
Valor.
Of all the college campuses we visited, the USAFA campus was far and away the prettiest. I took this photo as Graham's bus made its way to the Core Values gate. Can barely make out his blue bus above the tennis courts.
It was a very long day for Graham. At the end of of it all, he experienced his first BCT dinner meal, met his cadre, and started to go over the knowledge they must memorize including rank and quotations as well as their Squadron Flight and Squadron Commander Cadre's names and making up their rooms.
Friday, we got to see Graham march onto Stillman Parade Field. They already looked pretty good. That is no surprise, actually. They are the best of the best after all.
Hellcats is on the right. Their squadron motto is "Hell, yeah!"
I posted a live video of the march into Stillman Field for the swearing in ceremony, but you can see a short video here of the squadrons marching back out. Jackie and I next see Graham on August 7th, for the Acceptance Parade at the conclusion of basic cadet training.
Comments
Post a Comment